Monday, March 4, 2013

Homesick

I'm homesick like nobody's business. I know exactly what it is.
I miss my community. And sunshine. I miss walking my kids to school and having 12 conversations with neighbors along the way instead of a rushed car ride too early in the morning. I miss slow mornings with my husband as we tend to our online duties, drink a slow cup of Dominican coffee and share amusing stories we've collected instead of trying to learn kids' names faster than they can get in trouble while substitute teaching--here we're temporaries. I miss telling time by when my neighbors come up the stairs to bring us lunch and the latest news instead of planning each minute of the day, waiting for the alarm or next bell to ring. I miss picking the kids up from school and talking with doorman Chepe and all the shop keepers along the way. I miss food in a package being a rare treat instead of my only option in a hurried day. I miss tank tops, flip flops, house skirts and warm air. I miss children's class, junior youth group, story time and our hammock. I miss traveling in a car just once a week to haul groceries back home. I miss taking Max to Taekwondo classes, the guagua ride and getting thimble-fulls of coffee for my 5 peso coin. I miss spending most of the day with my family & friends as opposed to over-tired coffee breaks and short evenings spent getting ready for the next day.
I may even be a bit delusional because I think I miss tripping over our cat and swatting at mosquitoes. I don't miss the power going out or really crappy water pressure, so I can't be that far gone.
I do enjoy being so close to family and friends I've known for years instead of months. I like being anonymous in public. I appreciate the reliable healthcare, good education, kid-centered parks, Baha'i communities with enough people to mean that you're not planning & hosting everything yourself, libraries in every city along the way, security of police & fire stations, clean drinking water, cheap groceries and big paychecks, flushing toilet paper, hot water, cold water, warm water--every time you turn the faucet--water.
And some people will read that list and think we're crazy to live in a place without all those things when we have the choice, the option to stay here in a developed and resource-rich nation. Then again, we've also created the circumstance where it is a choice.

Standing on our roof. Pan left for drying laundry and mango tree.
Nevertheless, it still begs the question we're continually asking ourselves:
Are we here to serve or be served?

No comments:

Post a Comment