Wednesday, April 4, 2012

But... What About the Children?

I've heard that Santiago has a library. I also heard it's newest acquisitions are older than my parents. I'm guessing they don't have regular activities for the community, but I'm willing to check it out before I give you the low-down. Santiago also has a bookstore. Some of the grocery stores sell books, but there is really only one grocery store that has a full-blown bookstore (with books that aren't just required for school or... the Bible). A friend mentioned that a children's story time was offered weekly there, so Martine and I eagerly questioned within.
"No. We don't do anything like that," fashionista book-seller answered flatly.
We stared blankly. Really?
"Well, a couple weeks ago another organization came in and did some activities with the community," she offered.
"But you don't do anything like that?" I asked, hoping against hope.
"No," FashionistaBookseller smiled and flipped her hair, "No, we don't."
"Well, could you mention the idea to the management, please?"
"Sure," she looked at us like there wasn't actually any so-called management anyway but wanted to appease us somehow.

Although lacking in a great many child-friendly activities, Santiago is home to a museum, if you can believe it. And it's beautiful. It caters to a wonderful array of people. I see a lot of school groups there. Expats. Nicely dressed people. Every concho or taxi I take to get there knows where it is, but the driver has never been inside. I encourage them to do so. Any day I'll start seeing them hanging around the exhibits. It's free on Tuesdays. They have regular showings of international artsy-fartsy films for free and even show family movies once a month. Though those aren't as sophisticated, per se, unless you think Air Bud was a brilliant, thought-provoking production.
Josh found out about their "Creative Afternoons" program which runs on the expensive side as far as this country is concerned, but fun nonetheless. Several 6-week series of workshops for kids based on a variety of themes (visual art, theater, music, etc) are offered and we signed the kids up. Since I'm technically on vacation from my online gig for another two weeks, I've been taking them to the most recent workshop series: music. What exactly is supposed to happen, I'm unsure. Nor am I clear what twenty 3-8 year-olds are expected to do for two hours, twice a week in a "music" class, but that is neither here nor there. Photos from our first day follow:

Music teacher and several of his class shakin' their instruments.
Max having a good 'ol time running in circles around the room. I caught him--almost--here in the shot.
Apparently any two hour class demands a snack time. Today, there was a birthday party,
so I lucked out having not brought my children any kind of sustenance. 
Birthday girls' SuperMom also made crowns for all the kiddos.
The birthday girl. My offspring are in the background still trying to figure out what is going on.
"Were we going to music class or a birthday party, Mom?"
Thank goodness for refined sugar and saturated fats in the afternoon.  
From this captured moment on, she only took the crown off to bathe and sleep. For three days. Straight.

2 comments:

  1. I should say something profound here, but all I can think to say is "Hmm...music teacher is kind of a hottie." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fact that has not escaped my notice every Tuesday and Thursday. Keen observer, friend.

      Delete