Thursday, October 6, 2011

Spanglish

Upon arrival, Josh and I noticed something unusual here as compared to good 'ol Woodburn. There seemed to be more English here: in the signs, in the media and in people's language. Following are some of my favorite examples:

Not long ago, I was in need of some cranberry juice. I had no clue the translation for cranberry. "How do you say cranberry in Spanish?" I asked one of the other professors. "Cran-berrrri," her mouth turning upward as she drew out the last syllable.

I called to have pizza delivered the other night. After the long list of questions that Pizza-Man had for me (i.e. he needed my first and last name to be able to deliver to me even though we paid with cash), he asked: "Para recoger o para de-lee-veri?"
I cracked a wide grin, then attempted to mimic his accent, "Para de-lee-veri."

Assigned to each of the buildings on the university campus is a man in uniform whose duties include securing the building, opening locked classrooms and, in general, letting his presence be known. A few weeks ago, I asked a friend what these men were called. "Watcheeman," she responded, quite seriously. "Watchy-what?" I was confused. I'd never heard any word similar to this in Spanish. "Yeah," she nodded, hearing the wheels turning in my little head, "and for short, they're just called 'watchy'." Awesome.

This is how you express extra excitement here.



1 comment:

  1. It is like "getting a rit-e (or rid-e) home" in Woodburn!

    ReplyDelete