Sunday, September 11, 2011

I was at a staff meeting...

One of my favorite Seinfeld episodes is the one where Kramer randomly ends up working 9-5 in an office, putting in long hours to finish his "report", coming home exhausted to Jerry, who asks him, "When did you get a job??"  
Kramer ultimately ends up getting fired for not really having done anything. "But you can't fire me," he laments, "I don't actually work here."
That's kind of how I felt last Thursday, when a passing conversation about possibly tutoring for a private school here led to an interview and before I knew it I was signing a contract and sitting in a staff meeting.  "How did I get here?" I thought to myself.  "I thought I was done with staff meetings!"  
As a home-schooling father, after all, the only staff meetings I was envisioning involved Jesse and me talking about educational theory over Big Macs while the kids played in the playplace. C'est la vie. 
So it was that I stumbled into the house in the middle of dinner, telling Rebecca, "Sorry I'm late.  I was at a staff meeting."  
"I didn't even know you had a job," she replied.
"Yeah, apparently I do," I mused.
Really though, it is exciting.  My employment will allow Max and Zora to do after-school activities for half-price, letting them make friends and hopefully learn something new.  That's really the reason I took the job, so I'm hoping they love it.  Tomorrow we need to get a leotard for Zora, who's extremely excited about gymnastics.  Max would also like to do gymnastics, but unfortunately, for whatever reason, it's girls only.
On a side note, while signing my contract the HR person told me that a simple medical checkup would be necessary for my employment, given that I'll work with children.  Let's just say I've never given three types of fluids to get a job, let alone a part time one, nor have I peed under the strict supervision of a security guard, but I guess I'll just have to hope they're not storing my DNA to clone future geniuses.  Watch out world, here we come.


1 comment:

  1. Well, you always wanted to be a stand up comedian, and the Jerry Seinfeld take offs are a great start!

    Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete